Learn more about Styes, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
Styes are also known as external hordeolum and are an infection of the eyelash root. They appear as a red lump with a yellow pus filled center, similar to a white head spot you get on your face. It appears on the outside of your eyelid along the lash line. Styes can be contagious as it is caused by a bacterial infection. Most people will get styes at some point in their life.
• Redness in a localized area of the eyelid
• The stye can make the eyelid look swollen
• Tender on touch
• Eyelid may feel bruised on blinking
• Staphylococcal bacteria, the bacterium is found in the nose and skin. Rubbing your nose then your eye can transfer the bacteria across to the eyelid.
• Long term blepharitis
• Skin conditions that are not managed properly such as dermatitis, rosacea etc.
• Has been linked to stress or when you are rundown
Do not pick or pop the stye, this will only transfer or spread the infection. Most Styes will burst and release after a few days and usually do not require treatment, however you can help it along.
• Warm compresses of the eyelids using a heated eye bag. Heat the eye bag as per instruction, lay back, close your eyes and let the eye bag heat your eyelids for 20 minutes. The hot compresses will help the stye rupture, discharge its contents and heal more quickly. Repeat this 3 to 4 times a day.
• Epilation of the lash in the associated infected lash follicle, to help drainage and healing of the stye
• If they do not heal, seek further advice from your optician or local eye hospital. Drainage of the stye and antibiotic ointment treatment can be used in stubborn cases.
Avoid wearing contact lenses and makeup until the stye has healed.
For premium eye examination and up to date technical equipment and knowledge look no further than Ideal Vision.
The whole family and relatives have been customers of Eyedeal Vision Opticians for many years and we have always had a very professional service. We are always treated with much respect and would highly recommend the practice.
Amazing team. Very professional and elite. These aren’t your ordinary ‘spec savers’ company. A family run business who care ❤️
Been going to Eyedeal for 8 years. Always so helpful and a very nice staff. Always friendly what more could you ask!
Always friendly and ultra professional even in these difficult times. Would thoroughly recommend them.
I have been going to Eyedeal Vision for years as I used to deliver there post when I worked at Royal Mail Chingford I have moved offices 3 years ago I still go to them as they are so friendly and polite and very patient as I also that my niece and nephew who is Autism and non verbal he uses his iPad to communicate which they so great patience with him he is a very clever boy. Just been for our yearly check lucky for the children there eyes are perfect mine getting worse I was bit worried about my new glasses they soon put me at ease they really are the best opticians I have ever been I really do recommend them Amanda Oneill
Our whole family visit Eyedeal Vision from young to not so young. Service is second to none from everyone, they make you feel that you are their only customer and every need is met, with a smile and efficiency. During these difficult times it is the one place that we go to with complete confidence. Keep up the good work.
A fantastic local opticians friendly polite and very professional Pop in and enjoy the experience.
Service here was superb - they managed to turn around an order for varifocal sunglasses in a week, which was mightily impressive. Lovely team and always service with a smile.
I have been getting my glasses from Eyedeal Vision since the 1980’s and always been treated with the most kindest attention, my glasses have always suited me And I will never go anywhere else the staff are very expert in what they do.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.