Learn more about Bacterial Conjunctivitis, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
Bacterial conjunctivitis also referred to by some patients as a pink eye or conjunctivitis is caused by a bacterial infection. Bacterial conjunctivitis usually occurs in both eyes, with one eye maybe affected before the other eye.
Conjunctivitis is the inflammation of the clear layer (conjunctiva) that covers the white of your eye (sclera). The conjunctiva which is the clear layer, has many blood vessels, when you have inflammation these blood vessels dilate and your eyes will look red and bloodshot.
Bacterial conjunctivitis can be passed on through direct contact with someone already suffering with bacterial conjunctivitis and then touching your eyes. Touching contaminated surfaces or objects and then touching your eyes. Children and adults can pass bacterial conjunctivitis to each other easily when there are inadequate hygiene measures.
• Red eyes
• Burning sensation in the eyes
• Grittiness of the eyes
• Milky coloured discharge (purulent) or yellowy green discharge (mucopurulent)
• Crusting of eyelids
• Eyelids feel stuck together on waking
• The most common types of bacteria that cause bacterial conjunctivitis include Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus aureus, Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
• Contamination of the conjunctival surface
• Contact lens wearer
• Secondary to viral conjunctivitis
• Superficial trauma to the eyes
• Recent cold
• Other immune diseases
Bacterial conjunctivitis can resolve by itself in 5-7 days, however some patients are given antibiotics to speed up the recovery.
If a newborn baby has conjunctivitis, please seek medical assistance immediately.
• Clean your eyelids twice a day or more, with preservative free sterile lid wipes such as blephaclean to remove the crusting
• Antibiotic eye drops such as chloramphenicol, Fusidic acid etc
• Antibiotic eye ointments such as chloramphenicol, gentamicin etc
• If the condition does not improve seek further medical assistance
Prevention is the key; here are some precautionary measures you can take for any type of conjunctivitis
• Do not share towels, face cloths or tissues, especially if someone has bacterial conjunctivitis
• Do not share makeup
• Do not share eye drops or eye gels
• Do not share contact lenses
• Wash your hands before & after touching your face and eyes
• Use disinfecting hand wash
• Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing, then wash your hands
• Clean communal services on a regular basis
• Switch to daily contact lenses if your hygiene is poor
• Remove contact lenses when showering, in the sauna, steaming or swimming
For premium eye examination and up to date technical equipment and knowledge look no further than Ideal Vision.
The whole family and relatives have been customers of Eyedeal Vision Opticians for many years and we have always had a very professional service. We are always treated with much respect and would highly recommend the practice.
Amazing team. Very professional and elite. These aren’t your ordinary ‘spec savers’ company. A family run business who care ❤️
Been going to Eyedeal for 8 years. Always so helpful and a very nice staff. Always friendly what more could you ask!
Always friendly and ultra professional even in these difficult times. Would thoroughly recommend them.
I have been going to Eyedeal Vision for years as I used to deliver there post when I worked at Royal Mail Chingford I have moved offices 3 years ago I still go to them as they are so friendly and polite and very patient as I also that my niece and nephew who is Autism and non verbal he uses his iPad to communicate which they so great patience with him he is a very clever boy. Just been for our yearly check lucky for the children there eyes are perfect mine getting worse I was bit worried about my new glasses they soon put me at ease they really are the best opticians I have ever been I really do recommend them Amanda Oneill
Our whole family visit Eyedeal Vision from young to not so young. Service is second to none from everyone, they make you feel that you are their only customer and every need is met, with a smile and efficiency. During these difficult times it is the one place that we go to with complete confidence. Keep up the good work.
A fantastic local opticians friendly polite and very professional Pop in and enjoy the experience.
Service here was superb - they managed to turn around an order for varifocal sunglasses in a week, which was mightily impressive. Lovely team and always service with a smile.
I have been getting my glasses from Eyedeal Vision since the 1980’s and always been treated with the most kindest attention, my glasses have always suited me And I will never go anywhere else the staff are very expert in what they do.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.