Learn more about Chalazion, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
Chalazion is a cyst of the meibomian oil gland caused by blockage/inflammation; the oil glands are located on the lid margin of the eyes just behind your lashes. The meibomian oil gland becomes blocked by inflammation and a tender lump develops. The tender lump is a chalazion or is also known as a meibomian cyst. The chalazion can vary in size and may get bigger, with early lid cleaning hygiene and massage of the eyelids it can spontaneously discharge. If the chalazion is left and not treated at the early stages they become more solidified and the tenderness dissipates. A chalazion is usually benign and can be left alone, however cosmetically they may not be appeasing if they are quite large.
Chalazia are multiple chalazions.
• Lump or swelling on the upper or lower eyelids
• Tenderness of the eyelid in the early stages
• Watery or sore eyes
• Heavy feeling of the eyelid
• Later stages a non-tender round swelling
• Possible mild conjunctivitis with the tender or non tender swelling
Visit your optician to rule out any eyelid cellulitis or other eye conditions and confirm diagnosis of chalazion.
• Inflammation such as blepharitis
• Viral conjunctivitis
• Rosacea of the eyes and/or skin
• Eye infections
• Seborrhoeic dermatitis
• Over population of microorganisms around the eyelashes causing inflammation
Chalazion can reoccur, maintain good lid hygiene and meibomian gland care
1. Cleaning your eyelids and lashes using preservative free lid wipes called blephasol, especially if you have a pre-existing condition like blepharitis. Lid hygiene is important.
2. Hot compresses with a heated eye bag for at least 20 minutes, twice a day. The heat will cause the blockage (chalazion) in the meibomian gland to soften. Lay back, with your eyes closed, place the warmed eye bag across your closed eyes and relax. Hot compresses should be done twice a day to encourage contents of the chalazion to soften and expel, follow this with lid massage. (You can use a flannel soaked in very warm water and then ring out any excess water. The flannel will cool down quickly and you will have to re-soak it in warm water.)
3. Massage the eyelids at least 10 times, twice a day. The massage should be firm but not cause you pain. Massage the eyelids with your forefinger, moving your finger towards the base of the lashes (upper lid, move finger down to the lashes. lower lid, move the finger up to the lashes). You can also apply circular massage over the chalazion too. The massage techniques will hopefully cause the contents of the chalazion to disperse, which is ideal. Always massage after the eyelids have been thoroughly heated with an eye bag or flannel.
4. Antibiotic eye ointment to reduce and remove the inflammation
5. Curettage of the chalazion via a minor operation, this is only done if all conventional treatments fail and the chalazion is causing further complications to the eyes.
For premium eye examination and up to date technical equipment and knowledge look no further than Ideal Vision.
The whole family and relatives have been customers of Eyedeal Vision Opticians for many years and we have always had a very professional service. We are always treated with much respect and would highly recommend the practice.
Amazing team. Very professional and elite. These aren’t your ordinary ‘spec savers’ company. A family run business who care ❤️
Been going to Eyedeal for 8 years. Always so helpful and a very nice staff. Always friendly what more could you ask!
Always friendly and ultra professional even in these difficult times. Would thoroughly recommend them.
I have been going to Eyedeal Vision for years as I used to deliver there post when I worked at Royal Mail Chingford I have moved offices 3 years ago I still go to them as they are so friendly and polite and very patient as I also that my niece and nephew who is Autism and non verbal he uses his iPad to communicate which they so great patience with him he is a very clever boy. Just been for our yearly check lucky for the children there eyes are perfect mine getting worse I was bit worried about my new glasses they soon put me at ease they really are the best opticians I have ever been I really do recommend them Amanda Oneill
Our whole family visit Eyedeal Vision from young to not so young. Service is second to none from everyone, they make you feel that you are their only customer and every need is met, with a smile and efficiency. During these difficult times it is the one place that we go to with complete confidence. Keep up the good work.
A fantastic local opticians friendly polite and very professional Pop in and enjoy the experience.
Service here was superb - they managed to turn around an order for varifocal sunglasses in a week, which was mightily impressive. Lovely team and always service with a smile.
I have been getting my glasses from Eyedeal Vision since the 1980’s and always been treated with the most kindest attention, my glasses have always suited me And I will never go anywhere else the staff are very expert in what they do.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.