Learn more about Corneal Abrasion, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
A corneal abrasion is an injury to the cornea; the cornea is a clear layer that covers the iris. For example a scratch to the eye would cause a corneal abrasion. The cornea has may nerve endings; making it a very sensitive surface, hence you would feel pain if you scratched it. Your corneas help you focus light to see, any injury at the cornea can cause blurring of the vision especially if the injury is in the centre of your cornea.
• Pain can be mild to severe
• Gritty or foreign body sensation can be mild to severe
• Red eye
• Sensitivity to light
• Excessive watering of the eye
• Blurry or poor vision compared to before the injury
• Twitching of the eyelids
• Nausea if the pain is severe
• Possible pre-existing injury in the affected eye
• Foreign bodies such as a grain of sand, dust, grit, metal particle
• Trauma caused by a fingernail, makeup brush, twig, paper, clothes tag
• Lashes that grow toward the eyes
• Dry eyes
• Wearing damaged or over wearing contact lenses
• Pre-existing corneal dystrophies such as epithelial basement membrane dystrophy
• Pre-existing corneal injury which has healed but is weaker than the rest of the cornea
• Inability to close the eyelids
• Facial palsy
• Neurotrophic keratitis (NK)
If you think something is in your eyes, rinse your eyes with saline NOT water, to guard against acanthamoeba keratitis.
Do not rub your eyes; if there is a foreign body in the eyes, rubbing will only cause more damage and possibly embed the foreign body deeper.
• Get to your local opticians as soon as possible or your local hospital eye service.
• Topical anaesthetic to aid examination of the eyes and removal of foreign body if necessary
• Removal of the foreign body if one is present, using saline or debridement by a cotton bud
• Lubricating eye gels and eye ointments that are ideally preservative free to be used as instructed
• Oral painkillers if the pain to your eyes is severe
• Antibiotic eye ointment to be used as per instruction, to avoid infection. Use of antibiotics is dependent on the type, location and size of the injury to your cornea.
• Possible Topical non steroidal anti inflammatory eye drops for its pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties
• Cyclopentolate 1% eye drops twice daily to prevent pupil spasm if the abrasion is large
If your abrasion is very large and deep, you may be referred to your local eye hospital as a precautionary measure. As with all eye conditions that are being treated, if the symptoms get worse, the patient must seek medical advice immediately. We usually do a follow up appointment with our patients to check that everything is healing properly.
If a patient has chronic dry eyes we always advise a strict dry eye regime of eye gels and ointments, which should be used consistently to avoid a further corneal injury.
For premium eye examination and up to date technical equipment and knowledge look no further than Ideal Vision.
The whole family and relatives have been customers of Eyedeal Vision Opticians for many years and we have always had a very professional service. We are always treated with much respect and would highly recommend the practice.
Amazing team. Very professional and elite. These aren’t your ordinary ‘spec savers’ company. A family run business who care ❤️
Been going to Eyedeal for 8 years. Always so helpful and a very nice staff. Always friendly what more could you ask!
Always friendly and ultra professional even in these difficult times. Would thoroughly recommend them.
I have been going to Eyedeal Vision for years as I used to deliver there post when I worked at Royal Mail Chingford I have moved offices 3 years ago I still go to them as they are so friendly and polite and very patient as I also that my niece and nephew who is Autism and non verbal he uses his iPad to communicate which they so great patience with him he is a very clever boy. Just been for our yearly check lucky for the children there eyes are perfect mine getting worse I was bit worried about my new glasses they soon put me at ease they really are the best opticians I have ever been I really do recommend them Amanda Oneill
Our whole family visit Eyedeal Vision from young to not so young. Service is second to none from everyone, they make you feel that you are their only customer and every need is met, with a smile and efficiency. During these difficult times it is the one place that we go to with complete confidence. Keep up the good work.
A fantastic local opticians friendly polite and very professional Pop in and enjoy the experience.
Service here was superb - they managed to turn around an order for varifocal sunglasses in a week, which was mightily impressive. Lovely team and always service with a smile.
I have been getting my glasses from Eyedeal Vision since the 1980’s and always been treated with the most kindest attention, my glasses have always suited me And I will never go anywhere else the staff are very expert in what they do.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.