Learn more about Corneal Abrasion, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
A corneal abrasion is an injury to the cornea; the cornea is a clear layer that covers the iris. For example a scratch to the eye would cause a corneal abrasion. The cornea has may nerve endings; making it a very sensitive surface, hence you would feel pain if you scratched it. Your corneas help you focus light to see, any injury at the cornea can cause blurring of the vision especially if the injury is in the centre of your cornea.
• Pain can be mild to severe
• Gritty or foreign body sensation can be mild to severe
• Red eye
• Sensitivity to light
• Excessive watering of the eye
• Blurry or poor vision compared to before the injury
• Twitching of the eyelids
• Nausea if the pain is severe
• Possible pre-existing injury in the affected eye
• Foreign bodies such as a grain of sand, dust, grit, metal particle
• Trauma caused by a fingernail, makeup brush, twig, paper, clothes tag
• Lashes that grow toward the eyes
• Dry eyes
• Wearing damaged or over wearing contact lenses
• Pre-existing corneal dystrophies such as epithelial basement membrane dystrophy
• Pre-existing corneal injury which has healed but is weaker than the rest of the cornea
• Inability to close the eyelids
• Facial palsy
• Neurotrophic keratitis (NK)
If you think something is in your eyes, rinse your eyes with saline NOT water, to guard against acanthamoeba keratitis.
Do not rub your eyes; if there is a foreign body in the eyes, rubbing will only cause more damage and possibly embed the foreign body deeper.
• Get to your local opticians as soon as possible or your local hospital eye service.
• Topical anaesthetic to aid examination of the eyes and removal of foreign body if necessary
• Removal of the foreign body if one is present, using saline or debridement by a cotton bud
• Lubricating eye gels and eye ointments that are ideally preservative free to be used as instructed
• Oral painkillers if the pain to your eyes is severe
• Antibiotic eye ointment to be used as per instruction, to avoid infection. Use of antibiotics is dependent on the type, location and size of the injury to your cornea.
• Possible Topical non steroidal anti inflammatory eye drops for its pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties
• Cyclopentolate 1% eye drops twice daily to prevent pupil spasm if the abrasion is large
If your abrasion is very large and deep, you may be referred to your local eye hospital as a precautionary measure. As with all eye conditions that are being treated, if the symptoms get worse, the patient must seek medical advice immediately. We usually do a follow up appointment with our patients to check that everything is healing properly.
If a patient has chronic dry eyes we always advise a strict dry eye regime of eye gels and ointments, which should be used consistently to avoid a further corneal injury.
Eyedeal Vision is such a fantastic opticians with amazing staff, I would not dream of going anywhere else!! The range of frames are brilliant and the help of everyone in choosing frames that suit you is even better!!
Excellent service, very friendly stuff. Thank you. Alex
I have used Eyedeal for my whole 10+ years of wearing glasses because of their excellent services. Very friendly and polite staff with a high standard of work.
Professional, thorough and friendly! I come out confident and reassured, and love my glasses!
From start to finish, this was a positive experience. From the welcoming staff through the expert eye tests to the technician phase - this is how it should be done. Can’t recommend eyedeal vision highly enough.
Great service, helpful staff, would highly recommend. R. Jackson
If you need quality, service Eyedeal is the optician you are looking.
To thank you for the expert treatment and advice i have received over the last 20 years. Gracelyn
I would recommend Eyedeal Vision to anyone. I’ve been using them for many years, and it’s a real pleasure to go in for my check ups, the staff are so friendly and helpful.
We have used Eyedeal Vision for many years and are extremely happy with the service we receive. Everyone's always very polite and friendly. Highly recommended.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.