Learn more about Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
Meibomian gland dysfunction also known as MGD or meibomianitis, is a disorder of the oil glands that are found on the lid margin just behind your lash line. The meibomian glands produce oil secretions and make up the oily layer of your tear film. The tear film is the liquid layer that protects the front of eyes, keeps the eyes lubricated and prevents dry eyes. The oily layer of your tear film prevents your tear film from evaporating. You have approximately 20-40 glands per lid.
Meibomian gland dysfunction is where the oil glands are either obstructed or function abnormally.
• Red eyelids
• Swollen eyelids
• Bruised feeling on blinking
• Dry eyes
• Gritty sensation in the eyes
• Sore eyes
• Blurring of the vision intermittently
• Watery eyes
• Occurs at any age, but more prevalent in over 50’s
• Asian ethnicity are more prone
• Skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis etc
• Autoimmune disorders
• Certain medications
• Hot compresses of the eyelids with a heated eye bag for 20mins a day, is very useful. The heat from the eye bag will soften the obstructions in the meibomian glands. The heated eye bag is more effective than using a warm flannel, as an eye bag will retain the heat for up to 20 minutes.
• Follow this with a lid massage for each eyelid. Using your forefinger, bring your finger up to or down to the lashes firmly, this should be done all the way along the eyelid.
• Take omega 3 supplements, research indicates they may decrease further bouts of Meibomian gland dysfunction
Other treatment options available are:
• Meibomian gland probing is the unclogging of the Meibomian gland using an instrument to open and probe the oil gland.
• Antibacterial eye drops can be used if there is an infection or severe inflammation.
• Lipiflow thermal pulsation heats the eyelids and melts the obstructions in the meibomian glands, this is followed with manually expressing the glands to remove the blockage
• Prescription only cyclosporine eye drops to treat chronic dry eyes
Eyedeal Vision is such a fantastic opticians with amazing staff, I would not dream of going anywhere else!! The range of frames are brilliant and the help of everyone in choosing frames that suit you is even better!!
Excellent service, very friendly stuff. Thank you. Alex
I have used Eyedeal for my whole 10+ years of wearing glasses because of their excellent services. Very friendly and polite staff with a high standard of work.
Professional, thorough and friendly! I come out confident and reassured, and love my glasses!
From start to finish, this was a positive experience. From the welcoming staff through the expert eye tests to the technician phase - this is how it should be done. Can’t recommend eyedeal vision highly enough.
Great service, helpful staff, would highly recommend. R. Jackson
If you need quality, service Eyedeal is the optician you are looking.
To thank you for the expert treatment and advice i have received over the last 20 years. Gracelyn
I would recommend Eyedeal Vision to anyone. I’ve been using them for many years, and it’s a real pleasure to go in for my check ups, the staff are so friendly and helpful.
We have used Eyedeal Vision for many years and are extremely happy with the service we receive. Everyone's always very polite and friendly. Highly recommended.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.