Learn more about Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
Meibomian gland dysfunction also known as MGD or meibomianitis, is a disorder of the oil glands that are found on the lid margin just behind your lash line. The meibomian glands produce oil secretions and make up the oily layer of your tear film. The tear film is the liquid layer that protects the front of eyes, keeps the eyes lubricated and prevents dry eyes. The oily layer of your tear film prevents your tear film from evaporating. You have approximately 20-40 glands per lid.
Meibomian gland dysfunction is where the oil glands are either obstructed or function abnormally.
• Red eyelids
• Swollen eyelids
• Bruised feeling on blinking
• Dry eyes
• Gritty sensation in the eyes
• Sore eyes
• Blurring of the vision intermittently
• Watery eyes
• Occurs at any age, but more prevalent in over 50’s
• Asian ethnicity are more prone
• Skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis etc
• Autoimmune disorders
• Certain medications
• Hot compresses of the eyelids with a heated eye bag for 20mins a day, is very useful. The heat from the eye bag will soften the obstructions in the meibomian glands. The heated eye bag is more effective than using a warm flannel, as an eye bag will retain the heat for up to 20 minutes.
• Follow this with a lid massage for each eyelid. Using your forefinger, bring your finger up to or down to the lashes firmly, this should be done all the way along the eyelid.
• Take omega 3 supplements, research indicates they may decrease further bouts of Meibomian gland dysfunction
• Meibomian gland probing is the unclogging of the Meibomian gland using an instrument to open and probe the oil gland.
• Antibacterial eye drops can be used if there is an infection or severe inflammation.
• Lipiflow thermal pulsation heats the eyelids and melts the obstructions in the meibomian glands, this is followed with manually expressing the glands to remove the blockage.
• Prescription only cyclosporine eye drops to treat chronic dry eyes.
Having Diabetes means you need to take special care of your eye’s and for sometime now Eyedeal Vision have looked after my everyday needs plus supplying a very good selection of glasses.
For premium eye examination and up to date technical equipment and knowledge look no further than Ideal Vision.
The whole family and relatives have been customers of Eyedeal Vision Opticians for many years and we have always had a very professional service. We are always treated with much respect and would highly recommend the practice.
Amazing team. Very professional and elite. These aren’t your ordinary ‘spec savers’ company. A family run business who care ❤️
Been going to Eyedeal for 8 years. Always so helpful and a very nice staff. Always friendly what more could you ask!
Always friendly and ultra professional even in these difficult times. Would thoroughly recommend them.
I have been going to Eyedeal Vision for years as I used to deliver there post when I worked at Royal Mail Chingford I have moved offices 3 years ago I still go to them as they are so friendly and polite and very patient as I also that my niece and nephew who is Autism and non verbal he uses his iPad to communicate which they so great patience with him he is a very clever boy. Just been for our yearly check lucky for the children there eyes are perfect mine getting worse I was bit worried about my new glasses they soon put me at ease they really are the best opticians I have ever been I really do recommend them Amanda Oneill
Our whole family visit Eyedeal Vision from young to not so young. Service is second to none from everyone, they make you feel that you are their only customer and every need is met, with a smile and efficiency. During these difficult times it is the one place that we go to with complete confidence. Keep up the good work.
A fantastic local opticians friendly polite and very professional Pop in and enjoy the experience.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.