Learn more about Viral Conjunctivitis, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
Viral conjunctivitis is classically referred to as pink eyes and is caused by a virus, like the common cold. One eye is usually affected first, it then goes on to affect both eyes.
Viral conjunctivitis causes the clear layer (conjunctiva) over the white the eye (sclera) to become inflamed; the blood vessels dilate giving the appearance of a red eye. Viral conjunctivitis is usually self-limiting, highly contagious and transfer of the airborne viruses can spread through sneezing and coughing. Viral conjunctivitis is not a bacterial infection.
If you suspect a baby has conjunctivitis please seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
• Pink eyes or intense red eyes
• Burning feeling in the eyes
• Gritty sensation in the eyes
• Itchy sensation in the eyes
• Sensitivity to bright lights
• Watery discharge in both eyes
• Blurred vision if the cornea becomes affected (clear layer over the iris, the coloured part of your eyes)
• You may feel run down, your body may feel tired/exhausted
• Swollen throat glands
• Sore throat or recent sore throat
• Recent or current cold
• Recent or current chest infection
The most common cause of viral conjunctivitis is infection with adenovirus, the group of viruses that cause the common cold and many other upper respiratory infections.
• Recent cold
• Recent chest infection or upper respiratory tract infection
• Poor hygiene
• Hand to eye contamination
• Airborne transfer of virus through coughing and sneezing
Viral conjunctivitis is usually self-limiting, and resolves within 1-2 weeks. Viral conjunctivitis does not require pharmacological treatments. Day 3 to 5, are likely to be when viral conjunctivitis will be at its worst with improvement thereafter. Please remember that viral conjunctivitis is very contagious, it is advised that you stay away from others until it resolves. Please note antibiotics will not work or resolve viral conjunctivitis.
• Clean the watery discharge from your eyes using sterile preservative free lid wipes
• Cold compresses for your eyes
• Preservative free lubricating eye drops or gels can be used as and when required
• Antihistamine eye drops can be used to reduce the itchy feeling in your eyes
• Rest and stay away from others
Please also follow the advice below
• Stop contact lens wear until the viral conjunctivitis resolves
• Do not share towels, face cloths or tissues
• Do not share makeup
• Do not share eye drops or eye gels
• Do not share contact lenses
• Wash your hands before & after touching your face and eyes
• Use disinfecting hand wash
• Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing, then wash your hands
• Clean communal services on a regular basis
Eyedeal Vision is such a fantastic opticians with amazing staff, I would not dream of going anywhere else!! The range of frames are brilliant and the help of everyone in choosing frames that suit you is even better!!
Excellent service, very friendly stuff. Thank you. Alex
I have used Eyedeal for my whole 10+ years of wearing glasses because of their excellent services. Very friendly and polite staff with a high standard of work.
Professional, thorough and friendly! I come out confident and reassured, and love my glasses!
From start to finish, this was a positive experience. From the welcoming staff through the expert eye tests to the technician phase - this is how it should be done. Can’t recommend eyedeal vision highly enough.
Great service, helpful staff, would highly recommend. R. Jackson
If you need quality, service Eyedeal is the optician you are looking.
To thank you for the expert treatment and advice i have received over the last 20 years. Gracelyn
I would recommend Eyedeal Vision to anyone. I’ve been using them for many years, and it’s a real pleasure to go in for my check ups, the staff are so friendly and helpful.
We have used Eyedeal Vision for many years and are extremely happy with the service we receive. Everyone's always very polite and friendly. Highly recommended.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.