Learn more about Viral Conjunctivitis, including The Symptoms, The Causes, and The Treatments.
Viral conjunctivitis is classically referred to as pink eyes and is caused by a virus, like the common cold. One eye is usually affected first, it then goes on to affect both eyes.
Viral conjunctivitis causes the clear layer (conjunctiva) over the white the eye (sclera) to become inflamed; the blood vessels dilate giving the appearance of a red eye. Viral conjunctivitis is usually self-limiting, highly contagious and transfer of the airborne viruses can spread through sneezing and coughing. Viral conjunctivitis is not a bacterial infection.
If you suspect a baby has conjunctivitis please seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
• Pink eyes or intense red eyes
• Burning feeling in the eyes
• Gritty sensation in the eyes
• Itchy sensation in the eyes
• Sensitivity to bright lights
• Watery discharge in both eyes
• Blurred vision if the cornea becomes affected (clear layer over the iris, the coloured part of your eyes)
• You may feel run down, your body may feel tired/exhausted
• Swollen throat glands
• Sore throat or recent sore throat
• Recent or current cold
• Recent or current chest infection
The most common cause of viral conjunctivitis is infection with adenovirus, the group of viruses that cause the common cold and many other upper respiratory infections.
• Recent cold
• Recent chest infection or upper respiratory tract infection
• Poor hygiene
• Hand to eye contamination
• Airborne transfer of virus through coughing and sneezing
Viral conjunctivitis is usually self-limiting, and resolves within 1-2 weeks. Viral conjunctivitis does not require pharmacological treatments. Day 3 to 5, are likely to be when viral conjunctivitis will be at its worst with improvement thereafter. Please remember that viral conjunctivitis is very contagious, it is advised that you stay away from others until it resolves. Please note antibiotics will not work or resolve viral conjunctivitis.
• Clean the watery discharge from your eyes using sterile preservative free lid wipes
• Cold compresses for your eyes
• Preservative free lubricating eye drops or gels can be used as and when required
• Antihistamine eye drops can be used to reduce the itchy feeling in your eyes
• Rest and stay away from others
Please also follow the advice below
• Stop contact lens wear until the viral conjunctivitis resolves
• Do not share towels, face cloths or tissues
• Do not share makeup
• Do not share eye drops or eye gels
• Do not share contact lenses
• Wash your hands before & after touching your face and eyes
• Use disinfecting hand wash
• Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing, then wash your hands
• Clean communal services on a regular basis
For premium eye examination and up to date technical equipment and knowledge look no further than Ideal Vision.
The whole family and relatives have been customers of Eyedeal Vision Opticians for many years and we have always had a very professional service. We are always treated with much respect and would highly recommend the practice.
Amazing team. Very professional and elite. These aren’t your ordinary ‘spec savers’ company. A family run business who care ❤️
Been going to Eyedeal for 8 years. Always so helpful and a very nice staff. Always friendly what more could you ask!
Always friendly and ultra professional even in these difficult times. Would thoroughly recommend them.
I have been going to Eyedeal Vision for years as I used to deliver there post when I worked at Royal Mail Chingford I have moved offices 3 years ago I still go to them as they are so friendly and polite and very patient as I also that my niece and nephew who is Autism and non verbal he uses his iPad to communicate which they so great patience with him he is a very clever boy. Just been for our yearly check lucky for the children there eyes are perfect mine getting worse I was bit worried about my new glasses they soon put me at ease they really are the best opticians I have ever been I really do recommend them Amanda Oneill
Our whole family visit Eyedeal Vision from young to not so young. Service is second to none from everyone, they make you feel that you are their only customer and every need is met, with a smile and efficiency. During these difficult times it is the one place that we go to with complete confidence. Keep up the good work.
A fantastic local opticians friendly polite and very professional Pop in and enjoy the experience.
Service here was superb - they managed to turn around an order for varifocal sunglasses in a week, which was mightily impressive. Lovely team and always service with a smile.
I have been getting my glasses from Eyedeal Vision since the 1980’s and always been treated with the most kindest attention, my glasses have always suited me And I will never go anywhere else the staff are very expert in what they do.
Please Contact Eyedeal Vision Opticians at Chingford for any queries you may have. If you would like to book an appointment for an eye examination, please select the Book Your Appointment link. For any other enquiry please use the Contact Us form here.
40 Station Road
If you would like to request an appointment for one of our eye examination, please select the Request Your Appointment link Above.